Friday, May 06, 2005

Post Prom

Posted by Hello

So I've been a bit elusive during the past week and a half for a very good reason. For some strange reason, I decided to volunteer to "do" prom this year. Basically I was Jr. Class Sponsor. I was determined to do 2 things in this role.
Goal #1: Reduce the cost of Junior Dues. Last year they were $50, plus you had to pay for a date. This year we charged $25 Junior Dues and $35 for seniors who didn't pay last year. I threatened to raise the dues, but never did, and we had plenty of money. I was able, with the help of a parent, to get a location in a the county next to ours which was a little small, but very nice and wouldn't require nearly the decorating as the school would require. (Plus, all my students threatened to boycott prom if it was held at school.)
Goal #2: Delegate and get more students involved. Okay, this didn't work as well as I had planned, but I did delegate some of the buying of decorations and food prep to other teachers. I still spent all weekend at the location setting up, baking, chaperoning, and taking down, but it was a lot of fun. I'm really going to miss some of my kids next year. My seniors are off to the colleges of their choice (all around Georgia) and I'll be off to overseas, so I'll miss getting to see the juniors that I've worked with for 2 years at their prom.
I was happy with the turn out of prom though, even though most seniors come only for the senior walk (Senior Walk: a time during the prom when each senior and his/her date is introduced publically and walk across the stage to be seen) and then left without even dancing, but the teachers danced. I love dancing in front of the students. No matter how ridiculous you look, they expect you to look silly anyway.
Pictures will be up soon!
Kt :-)

1 comment:

Katie A said...

Like I said, they expect you to be horrible. Plus, I did the Cha-Cha Slide, and it gives directions, so besides not knowing my left from my right, it all went fairly well. My students came in on Monday saying, "Ms Shaver can cut a rug." :-)