Saturday, May 14, 2005

Holy Ground

I got done with a musical down here in Greensboro last night around 8:30. The musical is called Evidence of Grace and we've got four churches (black and white which is a big deal down here) working together to put it on. I have a great privilege of signing "Refiner's Fire/Holy Spirit Rain Down". Those of you who know me, know how animated I can be, so singing with my hands (i.e. signing) is extremely powerful. Afterwards, I walked out to my lone car in the parking lot. (It was at the school, so my car was still in the faculty lot.) I found myself transported to my childhood when the sun had gone down and but it wasn't dark yet. A place that is safe, peaceful, without a care other than wondering if Mom would let you stay out just a little longer to play. It's the time of day of relief, when the humidity that had killed you during the day was beginning to change into a cool chill that hung in the air like a fog. I don't know if God has heightened my senses so I can remember these times/feelings/smells overseas, or if He is just sending little blessings my way that make me so grateful to be alive. I had to take off my shoes and walk through the grass for about 20 minutes before I could even make myself get in the car to go home. The cool grass beneath my feet energized and renewed my spirit. Is it any wonder that "Holy Ground" is such a powerful concept? It was holy ground. Holy ground that connected my heart to a Father who created it all, that was a visual image to me of His grace and sovereignty in my life to even still be alive, that captured my heart and my soul so that I could not help but start singing. It's been a very long time since I've visited that place in my soul, my heart, my memories, but I'm so glad God opened the door, and I decided to take off my shoes and step in.

1 comment:

sirrom said...

Katie: What a beautiful word picture! You have a way with words. cmmjr