Friday, August 12, 2005

Swimming HERE!


Okay, so I must admit that when I went over to a friend's house the other day and she talked about going swimming that morning, I just about freaked out. What??? You went swimming here????

As it ends up there is a French Restaurant in a compound (well most restaurants over here are in a compound) that has an outdoor cafe and a pool. It cost $2 to swim for the day if you have a group of 4 or more. So a few days later, we were invited to join a group and go swimming for the morning, and I couldn't pass up such an opportunity.

It was so much fun. The water was freezing, and the deep end looked green but it was actually just the dust (what else) that had settled at the bottom of the deep end. It was simple but fun. The group consisted of some of about 8 girls from literally all around the world.

It's been a little difficult to adapt to the oddities of the society in which I now find myself. For instance, on the morning of the swimming trip, we awoke to no power and no water. (We needed power to pump the water for the day.) Yet, I was able to go downtown in a minivan with 9 girls and go swimming.

Please keep in your thoughts our work that is being done to get ready for registration on the 14th and the building that needs to be done by Sept 5th . (There's a story about the building, too, but I'll share it later.) We are also doing A LOT of work to get NGO status ASAP.

Thanks for all of your thoughts so far. I have much more I need to write about, and I will soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I had a dream the other night that I had not mentioned yet to you. For some reason you were out on your own and had grown weary of your lack of freedom. I happened to visit and told you to do what you were supposed to do even though it's not always what you might want to do or be able to do in other circumstances.

I guess I could sense that the adjustment would be a bit challenging. Yes, it's a strange thought to think about swimming and riding in a van, yet having to pump water and have no power.

My thoughts are with you. Looking forward to more stories, indeed.

Jen

Anonymous said...

you have access to a pool. splendid! i can imagine you "freaking out" when you heard about the pool. that pleasure is something that i hadn't even thought about. i am so glad that you enjoyed yourself. i continue to think about you and the building/preparations.
love you.
liz k

Anonymous said...

At our monthly Monday evening meeting, we thought of you and talked about all of your concerns with our Father We certainly miss your input and enthusiasm.
Anne