Friday, August 19, 2005

A Picnic

Today after group, about 12 of us loaded into 2 vehicles bound for a village with a friend from K-town. He sang the praises of this place that is beautiful, green and cool, so of course we all wanted to go. When we arrived we felt a little like we were entering a state park on a weekend. There are no parking places, but our friend is a charmer, so he went to ask if we could park in some spots that seemed to baracaded.

He came back with news that he had run into one of his friends, the deputy min. of agri., with whom he had worked a few years back. We were all prepared to have a lunch of naan, peanut butter, and watermelon when this gentleman invited us to be part of his family reunion. We had lunch of rice, okra and tomatoes, naan, and melon, and then the women were escorted to the "back yard" where the women and the children were playing. It was just like being at a 4th of July party at home with the whole family hanging around. One of the cousins spoke English and we were thoroughly impressed with her translation and conversation. We felt in such a position of honor, and the scenery and the hospitality was amazing, too. (It was definitely worth the 1 hour 45 minute pretty bumpy and dusty drive.)

I just wondered what I would do if a dozen foreigners showed up at my family reunion or my party/picnic in the park. Would I invite them and give them the place of honor knowing that only 2 or three people at the party could even attempt to communicate. Would I have enough food to share with them? Unfortunately, I think that I might rationalize in my American mindset that they would rather be left alone with their peanut butter and jelly. Or I would tell myself that they might not like the hot dogs and smores that I was preparing, so it would be better not to invite them and make them feel uncomfortable. Remember, we may be entertaining angels unaware.

3 comments:

sirrom said...

Katie: Don't know what naan is. Some native dish?? Thought of you as I was going through my collection of quotes. Stumbled onto one given me by your Mom. Miss Vickie once told me she had a cousin who was born between Lincoln's BD and Valentine's Day. Said she was real homely, but had a big heart! Corny, huh? But exciting!!

Katie A said...

Dr. McClain,
Naan is our flat bread. We have it all the time.
Kt :-)

Anonymous said...

Katie,
It's funny to me how similar our logic is for certain situations. I totally related to the last paragraph...