Sunday, August 14, 2005

Dust: Part 2

So, the dust saga will continue. . .

I began to think about why He created dust the other day. I mean after all, He created us from dust, so I know it serves a purpose.

We are reminded in the Book that "He knows our frame and remembers that we are dust." In a lot of passages dust is used in mourning and repentance (tearing clothes and putting dust on one's head).

However, I was also reminded by very short rain the other day that water settles the dust for while. Then I remembered that in order for clouds to form, there must be dust in the air for the water vapor to condense upon. Then I read from Nahum 1:3 "The clouds are the dust that He shakes off of His feet." Anyone who knows me very well knows how much I LOVE clouds. They are fascinating to me and absolutely beautiful. Then to think about how something that I think is so powerful and beautiful is just dust on His feet makes me overwhelmed to think about His beauty and power.

All this to say that I now respect the dust. I realize how necessary it is for the beautiful clouds and the life-giving rain. It reminds me of my frame, His power, and His overwhelming love for dust.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love clouds too! I saw you in a large cloud formation Friday afternoon while driving (actually at a stand-still around exit 111)home from work. I was becoming quite exasperated with traffic when I felt compelled to look up to the heavens. There, as big as big,in a tremendous cloud formation, was your perfect silhouette. Somehow, even in silhouette, I could see your beautiful smile. What a peace came over me as my thoughts of and for you poured forth. Much love.
vickpicks

JennyRain said...

For whatever reason... I decided to read your post the same day Donna gave me my latest clear crystal bracelet with one charm labeled 'purity'... and ever since then... the visual of dust juxtapositioned with the concept of purity has been floating around in my conscious. You have such an ability to captivate me with your visuals...

"It is HIS purity"... how might we go about melding who we are with His purity... can our dust and His purity ever coalesce to form something of value? Does the dust ever fully go away... such questions...