Some say, "It takes a village to raise a child." In my case it's taken a "ville" (Batesville) and a "boro" (Greensboro) to raise me.
As I get ready to leave the country. I spent about a week and a half in my hometown where I was met with the warmest embraces and the most encouraging words. I feel as though I have the whole town behind me. In Batesville, I learned so much and experienced so much that has shaped me into who I am today. Grades K-12 were in the Batesville School District, one upon which I brag for the rest of my life. My best, life-long friends were made in Batesville, although just a few still live there. These are the friends who have seen the best and the worst of me and love me anyway. They are the ones who are willing to go the extra mile to stay in touch even if we haven't seen each other for a couple of years. They are the ones who colored with me in elementary school, played teather ball with me in middle school, tight-rolled their jeans and dreamed about being all grown up with me in junior high, went to camp and sang in youth choir with me in high school, made road trips to visit in college, encouraged me when I got sick and had to leave Baylor, struggled with some of the hard questions of life with me, were honest with me about how my eating disorder drove them up the wall, stayed in touch when I moved to Georgia, and will still go out of their way to make time to see me when I'm in their neighborhood.
I'm now back in Greensboro, where I appeared a couple of years ago as a stranger to the entire community. Here I've been adopted by so many and made some deep friendships. I've become much more secure in who I really am because I was able to be anything and start over, but realized that much of personality that I thought might just be my "role" in Batesville was actually very much a part of me. I found a renewed passion for the nations and for the family of our Father. I've been challenged and stretched and as a result shaped for the exact position to which He has called me.
Most of those who know from the "ville", know how long I struggled to prove that I didn't need anyone in my life besides Him. I thought I could prove my dependence and love for Him by shutting other people and other things out of my life. I thought that I needed to prove my independence from the world by withdrawing. I pushed many away in the "ville" and they remained faithful. "Thank you."
Most of those who know me from the "boro", need to know that your acceptance and love has taught me that I do need others and enjoy others, and that others are a gift from Him. You were all willing to take a chance on the new girl a couple of years ago. "Thank you."
Those who are new in my life may wonder where you belong in this blog. Well, I know that I still have a lot of growing to do, so I look forward the rest of you impacting my life and shaping me in the years to come. Maybe it takes a "ville", a "boro", and many more things to raise a child.
Sunday, July 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow, KT, loved this.
I'm so honored to be one of those that has gotten to go through the ups and downs with you. I don't feel like I did a very good job letting you know just how much I loved and supported you during the downs - but for some reason you still choose to call me a friend in spite of that.
While the whole eating disorder was happening, I kept asking why why WHY does this have to happen to Katie of all people? But now, looking back, it's easier to see that it was the only thing God could use to show you just how amazing you are and how much you need to love and take care of yourself and let OTHERS support and help you in this journey we call life. You are so confident and so beautiful and so loving, and now, most importantly, you KNOW it. THAT is what makes me so happy.
kt,
as i read this i said to myself that i wished i could have had some deeper conversations with you at ms, to learn more about you. i loved your post. from reading, i see he has taught you so many things. i look up to you as a sister and know you've got so much to give and teach. i am oh so thankful for crossing paths and look forward to the journey ahead as friends and sisters. i hope you are doing well with everyone! i can't wait to read about everything when you get an opportunity to post!
Back from Zambia. So sorry I missed your send off. I hear it was something to remember.
Know that you are constantly in my thoughts. You will truly be missed here. Keep us updated on what's happening with you.
Just to let you know -- on our trip there were many people added to G's family.
Katie,
I am honored to have been part of the "ville" and like Jennie I am thrilled that you are where you are and you realize how much you are loved by those you have touched with your own life. I'm thankful that we have a father who reminds us of great love through one another. You are an inspiration and a dear friend. Joyfully, I write and think of you.
Jen
Post a Comment