Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Obedient Flies

Just a random little story for you...
Since it has become warm, most of the window and doors in my building stay open during the day. I love my big glass windows with sliding glass and screens for a new reason now. With all the open doors, come lots of flies, but I have noticed that they are smart and obedient creature. They tend to come in the room and land on the screens on the windows. About 3 times a day, I simple roll the screens back a bit to allow the flies to escape to freedom, and I would say that about 95% of them fly right out.

So today, I'm reminded of patient and obedient flies. They see what they desire, and they wait for it quietly on the screen without buzzing around the classroom annoying everyone inside or beating themselves on the screen trying to get out themselves. It reminds me a little of how we act in our relationship with Him. Sometimes we know where we want to be, what we want to experience in our walk with Him so we either get really busy with flying around everywhere to create a false sense of fulfillment or try to pursuade ourselves that we don't really want what's on the other side of the window. Or we keep trying to get to our "goal" with our own power, flying into the screen again and again, but to no avail. Maybe we need to learn to be like my flies, patiently waiting for our desires in peace and as close to the "goal" as possible, so when He opens the screen to the blessing, we'll be aware of it and we won't miss our open window.

2 comments:

sirrom said...

KT - I like your take on the flies. I remember Bro. Don once jokingly referred to marriage as like flies on a windowpane - those out want in and those in want out. Just a joke, but a rather pessimistic view of marriage. Mine has worked for nearly 40 years and I don't want out.

JennyRain said...

great analogy KT - I love it :)