So I just wanted to let you know a little of what happened in my day today. Last week, I had the unfortunate experience of having some money taken out of my purse while I was at lunch duty. It wasn't a vast sum, but I realized that perhaps I had been assuming a bit too much freedom on campus. I hate having to lock things up, but it's my responsibility, so I have been locking my purse (with my money and visa) in my desk each day. Well, today, I had no pockets, so during lunch duty I just put the key ring on my finger. After lunch duty, I ran in to eat lunch, made some copies at the office, and started to work grading papers. My pen ran out of ink, so I tried to open my desk to get out a new pen and realized it was locked. When I started looking for the key I couldn't find it anywhere.
Those of you who know me well, know that I can be a bit obsessive about missing things, so I started to retrace my steps. I looked everywhere I had been in the past hour about three times before I decided to get the paper clip out. I figured the lock really isn't the best in the world, so it couldn't be too hard to open. After jiggling it for about 5 minutes, the lock suddenly turned about half way, so I was determined to get the darn thing open. After a couple more jiggles, however, the paperclip broke, leaving just a little bit (less than a centimeter) sticking out of the lock. It was one of those times where you wanted to laugh, cry, and scream all at the same time, but laughing won out. I called Caleb to see if he could bring over his leatherman so I could at least get the paper clip out, in the event that the key showed up. He asked me where I thought the key might be, and I answered I thought I probably left it in the kitchen at lunch, but has searched high and low and found nothing. He promised to ask one of the kitchen helpers and then report back...
Well, withing about 10 minutes, he brought me the key which the worker had placed on a hook in the corner of the room and Jan (our history teacher) brought over his tools to get the paper clip out of the lock. The whole episode just was SO me. Waiting until I'd made a huge mess of the whole situation to ask for help of anykind. If I would just learn this lesson with our Father, too. I'm sure I'd have a much easier life...
Saturday, April 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Glad it had a happy ending.
That's funny. I can just picture the "I-can-fix-this" look on your face. I probably picture it so easily because I make it so often myself.
Oh no!
Hey I found this poem today and thought of you... good talking yesterday :)
A Friend's Greeting
I'd like to be the sort of friend that
you have been to me;
I'd like to be the help that
you've been always glad to be;
I'd like to mean as much to you
each minute of the day
As you have meant, old friend of mine,
to me along the way.
I'd like to do the big things and
the splendid things for you,
To brush the gray from out your skies
and leave them only blue;
I'd like to say the kindly things that
I so oft have heard,
And feel that I could rouse your soul
the way that mine you've stirred.
I'd like to give you back the joy
that you have given me,
Yet that were wishing you a need
I hope will never be;
I'd like to make you feel as rich as I,
who travel on
Undaunted in the darkest hours with you to
lean upon.
I'm wishing at this time that I
could but repay
A portion of the gladness that
you've strewn along my way;
And could I have one wish this year,
this only would it be:
I'd like to be the sort of friend
that you have been to me.
- Edgar A Guest -
Post a Comment