Thursday, March 02, 2006

Happy Birthday Caleb!

March 1st was Caleb's birthday, and I'd like to start out just saying that I am extremely blessed to have him in my life. His life has been far from easy, and yet he always has a smile on his face and a heart of compassion that breaks for those around him. He enjoys the simple things in life and treasures his family. Most of all, His relationship with the Father is one of extreme faith and love. He is amazing, and I was so happy to be able to celebrate his birthday with the rest of our team last Wednesday.

Since he's not the biggest fan of chocolate, I decided to make a peanut butter cake for him (from scatch). So after school I walked to our local bazaar so I could pick up so last minute ingredients. It was actually pretty easy to put together. The tricky part of baking here, though, is our crazy oven. You need the top on for a while, but not too long or the top will burn. Then you never know how long it will take the rest of the thing to bake. Cakes take about an hour. Cookies only take 4 minutes. Like I said, it's always an adventure, and it keeps you on your toes.

When the cake was finally finished and seemed to have survived the oven reasonably unharmed, I was so excited that I iced it immediately which was okay because the icing (also homemade) also was supposed to go on warm. Then I was so happy that it seemed to work out well, I immediately stuck in the birthday candles in the shape of a fish. (Yes, somewhere here we found b-day candles.) However, by the time we got the whole group together to sing, it had been about 15 minutes. Caleb blew out his candles in one breath and proceeded to pull out the candles (or shall I say wicks) which we immediately noticed had been melting on both ends. Obviously I didn't think about the fact that the hot cake would melt the candles from the bottom up, but as a result there were wonderfuly blue spots all through the cake. The cake was decent (once all the wax was strategically removed) just a bit crumbly. Oh well, it was all eaten, so I guess that's the important part!

Here's Caleb with a piece of cake.

3 comments:

Kabul Scene said...

Hey sweetie, thank you so much for your writings... you are great! I am so blessed to have you in my life! love you lots

ashley said...

Happy Birthday, Caleb (a little late)! I hope it was great!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Happy belated birthday, Caleb. :)
I've never made a peanut butter cake before - Do you mind sharing the recipe?