Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Bacon for Breakfast (Shhhhh!!!)

So last weekend (Thursday) we had a proper English breakfast as second little party for Caleb who studied in England for about 2 years and has been reminding our Brit about how much he enjoyed a good English breakfast while he was there. The only problem, however, is the extreme lack of bacon and sausage in our neck of the woods. Jude told Caleb that if he could get her bacon, she'd treat us all to breakfast.

Well, thanks to some connections at the ISAF base and a store that caters solely to ex-pats, we finally had bacon and sausage for breakfast. Jude also made eggs (who knows how many she ended up scrambling and frying), toast with butter and a variety of jams, tomatoes and mushrooms, baked beans (it sounds bizarre but is traditional), and tangerines/oranges. Then of course there was lots of coffee. Here are a few pictures of the "grand" event! I think we had around 18 of us enjoying the feast.

This is forbidden food here, and normally I don't crave it in the States (sorry Jen), but today was wonderful!

This is Jude slaving away in the kitchen but still has a smile!

Shoney's breakfast buffet has nothing on the Marble Mansion's English breakfast buffet.

Of course most of our lives is spent around our table. We also had folks sitting on the stairs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!
How can you not crave BACON? I love me some bacon.
:)

ashley said...

It is amazing how the absence of something makes you crave it more than you ever have before! We have ONE butcher in town selling the forbidden meat ... AND man, do I seem to love it over here! I never ate the forbidden stuff in the States much, but here it tastes incredible!
Glad you were able to enjoy.