We got an autorickshaw from the hotel and headed to Old Delhi. The driver immediately let us know that he could not take us "into" Old Delhi, but he would let us out next to the entrance. We soon found ourselves in a sea of buses, trucks, taxis, autorickshaws, bike rickshaws, bikes, people on foot, camels, and an extremely large number of goats of all varieties. I'm fairly used to goats. They eat the trash on the streets here, and we have a couple of diffrerent varieties, but these were even more diverse. Also, we found it fascinating to see how they were all decorated with bows, paint, ribbons, etc.
Getting Close to Old Delhi
The Mutant Giant Goats

We got out on foot and set off to find Karim's, but soon discovered that we were about a half a mile away. We were like fish swimming upstream, except our current was not water, but was men and goats. It was a bit humorous, actually. At one point Caleb was about 3 steps in front of me and had to jump over a goat that was blocking the way. As I was walking up to the goat, all I could think was , "As soon as I jump, the thing is going to get up and start moving and I'll either be carried along with it or fall to the ground and be trampled by the other goats." So what did I do? I jumped. I'm sure I was quite the afternoon entertainment for the nationals who had brought their goats to the big city. "Look at the crazy western lady hurdling goats!" Caleb actually used the digital camera to video me jumping over the goat, so remind me this summer, and I'll show it to you.

Anyway, the evening ended with a great dinner at Karim's, and we were able to go back the next day and get the harmonia. I guess I need to post a picture of that, too. I think that my Uncle Jack would be quite interesting in it! (He loves a good accordian.)
Streets of Old Delhi




4 comments:
The thought of you jumping the goat made me laugh out loud. And was that a camel in the first picture? Wow. What an amazing place!
So can we call you GJ (Goat Jumper) now?? Great pics.
Goat jumping ... that's pretty funny. :) Great pics and stories from India! Enjoy your time in Thailand.
baaahhhhhhh.... bikri....bikri... jumpy girl! I miss you - come see us all soon:) Gosh, am I going to have to move to Kenya or something to see you "wink"
I can't believe you are in Thailand - that rocks!
Post a Comment