Thursday, January 26, 2006

Temperature Contrast

So within a week of coming back from the tropics of India, I experienced my first big snow in K-town. I guess we got a little over 8 inches in a day. It was absolutely beautiful to watch. Here a couple of pictures from my window the first morning.
























After a couple of cloudy/snowy days, the skies cleared to reveal the pristine blue skies, and with the blue skies came even cooler temperatures, so the snow that melted due to the sun during the day froze in the evenings creating quite a mess on the streets. The mountains also took on totally new colors as the setting sun hit the snow covered peaks. "Awesome" does not even express the beauty in nature that surrounds this city. Of pictures could never do the mountains justice but here are some photos I took from our roof at sunset on a clear day.



This is my favorite picture. I don't know if you can see them or not, but in the background, there is another range of mountains that are pink due to the setting sun. Most days we can't see these mountains because of dust and/or pollution, but on this day they looked so crisp and clear.


















So now the temperature is getting above freezing (close to 7 C, so the snow is all melting leaving us roads/lakes of mud. Walking home from fellowship today was especially interesting/slippery. I think they are calling for more snow this week, though, so we may be in for a couple more cycles of winter before spring begins in mid-March. The country really needs the snow because of the drought they've experienced for so many years. So I look forward to more days of snow and mud.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!
has school been cancelled at all?
we've missed three days this week and one last week due to the snow. it's been great!
i think the photos are beautiful!
take care.
liz k.

Anonymous said...

I love snow!! The pictures are so beautiful. :)

Crystal said...

I am definitely remiss in posting anything...I just wanted to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for wishing me a happy birthday! And I am learning SO MUCH about you. Other than the fact that you are truly an inspiration, and I am enjoying going back reading your posts. I love the picutres. That's one thing I don't ever think about, that you would get snow.

sirrom said...

Keep the pics coming. Guess you're into metric these days. Please don't make me convert 7C to F.

ashley said...

Incredible! I miss the mountains so much ... It's been said that the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids so they'd have something other than the flatness of the desert. :)

Anonymous said...

Kt, the pictures are amazing. I love the sun reflecting off the mountains. So beautiful!