The ticket counter in Delhi is more like a mosh pit than a set of lines (or ques). Luckily, there was a line for women and senior citizens, so I took on the job of buying our return tickets. When I finally made it up to the ticket guy with my ticket request form in hand, he almost started laughing. "We are totally booked on this train until the 10th of Jan!" (This was the day we were to leave Delhi.) However, assertive Katie took over my normally passive self and refused to take no for an answer. "We are willing to travel in ANY class," I said. He looked, but said that there was a waiting list for every seat. I didn't want to give up my spot in line and have to try all over again, so I just stepped to the side long enough to look at a map and find another big city that's NOT on the coast and was fairly close to Kerala. The only thing that jumped out was Bangalore. SO, I pushed the next person in line out of the way (not considered rude in India by the way) and said, "What about Bangalore? Can I get 2 tickets for 6th of Jan?" Luckily there were tickets available even though they were in 2nd class, I really didn't care, because we didn't have much of an option.
All this to say, that we left for Ernakulam, Kerala on 24th Dec at 9:30am and were on the train until 2pm on 26th of Dec. We got to meet some very "interesting" people, but also some lovely families traveling together. I had 2 kids on my bunk all day on Christmas. They pretty much invited themselves up when they found out I had color pencils. There were other children that had me help them with math and science when they found out I am teacher. We also spent hours at the door of the train watching the scenery change from desert to farmland, to hills and mountains, and finally to palm trees. The night of Christmas was very special to me, tool. We were passing through Goa (quite a large Christian population) at night and most of the houses were decorated in lights. It was almost like taking a Christmas drive around town to look at the Christmas lights, but I was on a train and the temperature was in the 80's.

Here are some of the kids who enjoyed using my colored pencils.

Sunset from the train on Christmas Day!

I love the simplicity of the house on the hill.

It was so great to see green trees and hills.
So I'm going to stop here, and pick up from our time in Kerala.

4 comments:
KT Some of the pics remind me of Arkansas. Love the sunset and the pic of you and the children. Such exotic places you've been. Isn't this exciting??
KT,
sorry I don't comment on here that much but I do stop in a lot to see how things are going...thoughts are always with you. As for the questions, where do you think that I copied it from. I hope you don't mind the plagerism. ;) Hopefully I'll talk to you soon.
Aaron
you look so beautiful and happy.
more stories, please.
i love your pictures and stories! keep them coming! :)
Post a Comment