It's that time! My stuff it (pretty much) all packed. I've got some wonderful adopted parents who are keeping a lot of my stuff for me, and then I'm taking some other stuff up to my mom's. It's amazing what you find when you're moving. I keep thinking that I've really gotten rid of a ton of stuff, just to realize how much I have left. I did better cleaning out my classroom where I got rid of over 4 huge trashbags of junk. In my own abode, however, I am finding it just a bit harder to get rid of some crazy things.
For instance, I am selling my tv, table and chairs, bookshelves, coffee makers, and lots of just "stuff" that I've accumulated over the years. However, I cannot bear to part with the videos from choir tour which I should be glad to burn to destroy all evidence of my cheesy acting. I also cannot bear to get rid of a few select Christmas cards and Birthday cards that have a priceless emotional value.
The craziest stuff that I am keeping, though, are the books. Ah yes, I'm a book addict. Granted I have some very old books that I'd never part with. (Tom Sawyer from 1890, Hamlet from 1900, and so forth) However, it's the engineering books that I barely used in the classes I took that I still cling to. Who knows? Maybe I'll go to grad school in engineering and need those resources. Maybe I'll have a very gifted student who will want to look through them. Maybe I'll need a very heavy door stop and my Statics/Dynamics book would be perfect. Honestly I don't even remember all of the names of the books I have. But if you ever need a reference book on electrical circuit theory or thermodynamics, I promise you that I've the books for you!
Thursday, June 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I don't think I sold back a single coursebook my entire Baylor career. Even though some of them I barely used, each books is a trophy of sorts. AI find the notion that I learned, however briefly, that material simultaneously exciting (hey, I might know something afterall!), depressing (holy smoke I can't believe how much I've forgotten), and tiring (for the same reason as you - eventually I've got to lug them down three flights of stairs from my apartment to a new home).
Glad your plane ticket worked out! I hope I have the same good luck getting a Delta ticket to Vegas :-P. (heh, it's just a conference!)
I previewed the comment and my initials are lower case. That hacks me off.
Katie,
You can always buy new TVs, tables, chairs, etc., but those videos & cards are priceless! I just watched some of those old videos when I was home for Father's Day - so much fun. :)
GSS,
I made sure to capitalize your initials. Good to hear from you. I think I might get to see Ian during training in Mississippi.
Have a great time in Vegas! I went for a math teacher conference a few years ago. Granted Vegas provided an excellent study of Statistics and Probability, but I doubt they made a lot of money off of the math teachers. They are poor and they know the odds.
Kt
Post a Comment