Sunday, September 02, 2007

Puppy-Jaan's Great Adventure

Last week, Khalid was plagued by quite the cold, so I decided that he needed to eat chicken flavored Magi Noodles (think Ramen from P-stan). Anyway, it was the best I could do that was close to chicken soup. I had just got the water boiling when the power went out. Now this is not that unusual. City power has begun to come and go once again, and also the cable from our house to the neighborhood fuse box has a short, so from time to time, we loose power when no one else does, but at least this is quickly fixed by talking a little walk down to the fuse box and flipping our switch up.

Because it was night, Khalid didn't really want me walking down to the end of the street by myself, so he decided he'd go ahead and do it himself, even though he felt horrible. Often when Khalid does this little exercise, he'll take Puppy-Jaan with him, but this night, Puppy-Jaan got ahead of Khalid and darted out of the gate before Khalid could get the leash on her, and she went the wrong direction. Khalid tried to get her attention, but to no avail. She was exploring the brave new world around her. About 5 minutes later, I began to get worried because Khalid wasn't back yet (and there was still no power). About that time he ran into the house to change in to jeans (instead of shorts), and set off to hunt down Puppy-Jaan. You must realize that Puppy-jaan is Kh's first real pet, and that many folks have commented on how cute she is, so we knew anyone might just decide she belonged to them now and take her home.

Khalid called after about 25 minutes of tracking the dog with the red ribbon (as the people on the street who had seen her pass described her) and had finally found her almost 1/2 mile away tied up at a tailor shop. Just as predicted the tailor was going to take Puppy-jaan home with him. Khalid told the man it was his dog, and the man argued that she was now his. Khalid said, "Look! She has the red collar. I have the red leash. I've just spent the last 1/2 and hour trying to find her while I am sick. I'm taking her home." With that he put her on the leash and took off back to home.

Puppy-jaan will probably never again venture out like this again (especially after the consequences she experienced at home). Khalid was really glad to have her back, though, and so was I. By the way, Khalid is feeling much better, and Puppy-jaan has been on her best behavior for the past week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good investment at Pets Mart of the matching collar and leash!
VPS

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Khalid is feeling better!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Puppy-jaan is home safe again and that Khalid is feeling better. Was Khalid distressed at the idea of Puppy-jaan being out and about on his own? We all have such soft spots for our furry family members. They can seem so helpless at time....and so crazy making at others.

Anonymous said...

Yeah puppy-jaan! Nice to see you blogging again!

Oh! And happy belated (30th) birthday! Love ya!

Brandi

Anonymous said...

Still haven't fixed the short, eh?

Nice story. I'm enjoying reading your blog as I am substituting in the resource room of a school 10 minutes from my house. Keep the blogs coming.

Heike