Monday, August 20, 2007

Day One - For the 3rd time...

Oh my goodness... What a difference a year makes. I must say that I've had far less stress this year than any other of my pre-planning years in teaching. I don't know if 5 is the magic number or 3 is the magic number in one location, but my stress level is WAY down this year compared to last. I only have around 85 academic students each day in 6 classes (5 subjects), compared to over 100 students in 6 classes (7 subjects) last year.

Today was the first day of school and it is always hard in the international school system to show up and realize that a few of your favorite students aren't going to be back this year. I have around 4 who moved during the summer and thus aren't returning, and that's been a bit tough on all of us. The student dynamic in my classes will change some, but 5 of my classes mainly consist of the same group of students I had last year, just in a higher level math.

Our new teachers also seem GREAT, and everyone seemed to have a good day. I feel compared to 2 years ago when we began with VERY little, I have my act all together. Now comes the challenge of not being complacent or going on auto-pilot. My goal is to challenge my students with deeper problem solving and applications this year. I'm also teaching a very small Calculus class of highly intelligent students. It's a math teacher's dream come true.

I promised many that I'd try to blog more consistently this year, and I really mean it. I want to be in touch. With that promise... I'll talk to ya'll soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so excited when I saw your blog pop up on my Google Reader!

I'm glad you had such a great start to your third year - I can't believe it's already been that long!!

juliebelle said...

wow! congrats! tommy's just starting back this week, too. can't believe summer is over.

hana said...

hey! we've only begun our teacher mtgs this week and start next monday. and you can imagine how fun they are! i am so glad that this year is headed off to a good start for you. it was good to read about how things are for you. -in turkey