About a month and a half ago my Geometry class was studying conjectures, if-then statements, and all the variations thereof. As an example conjecture and example of inductive reasoning (reasoning based on past experience and examples), I said "If I am in Kabul, then it will not rain". Well, last weekend, my conjecture finally failed. I vaguely remember waking up on Wednesday night and thinking, "What's that noise? It sounds like water dripping." The next morning I got up to realize that roofs all around me were wet, so it must have rained. Through out Thursday and Friday it rained, REALLY RAINED (even with a little thunder and lightening) at various times. The rain seemed to justify the colder weather we've been having and was great hot chocolate and coffee weather. By the way, all of the dust that I referredto when I first got here turned to slick, sloppy mud. I don't know which one I like better...:-)
Anyway, there was another benefit to the rain, besides feeling like we're not living in a total desert. The mountains around the city actually got snow. My windows in my classroom face these mountains, and it is nothing less than glorious to look out and see the snow clouds covering the mountains, and then see them move away to reveal a beautiful transformation. I have to be careful not to daydream while I'm teaching. Here's picture of the mountains from my classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment