Monday, November 07, 2005

Breathing Room

So, I think I've mentioned that I started the year in a temporary room while waiting for our new building to be finished. You'll be glad to know that about 2 weeks ago, I moved into my new room. (YEAH!!!!) The new building was built by the landlord who said that he plans to use the building for apartments or such when we move out in a couple of years. However, we wonder why, then, did he put no bathrooms in the building AND why do I have 6 light switches in the room, but none of them turn off the lights AND why is the building not connected to city power. (I know we don't have it that often, but if the generator isn't on, then there are no lights. "When does the city power come on and the generator go off? you ask. Well, that would be at night. You figure it out. :-)

I really don't care about all the crazy things that are "different" about our building, though, because I now have a new room. A room that is plenty big enough for all 24 of my Algebra I students. The room has two walls of windows which overlook the volleyball court. I have new posters up and as soon as I get my teacher desk and a bookshelf or file cabinet I'll be quite settled in. Another praise is that I got calculators today. 25 Graphing and 25 scientific calculators made it in a shipment. In the shipment I also got my wonderful packages from my brother who has made my student very happy by sending fruit snacks, Cookie Crisp, and Reese's Puffs for my students to have as a snack tomorrow. They have been asking about the shipment for over a week now, and don't you know that was the first thing they asked when they saw boxes being brought up to my room. Well that's all for now. I need to grade papers. I'll update you on the Fall Break adventures soon. Here are just a few pics.

This is the old room with 24 students.

This is the new room with plenty of breathing space.

1 comment:

sirrom said...

Kt: What a nice new room. Some of the light switch/generator/city power issues are a little baffling, but how 'bout that new breathing room? You go, girl! I think I will dub thee, Pythagorean Woman. cmmjr