I've been meaning to write about this for over 2 months now. I just remembered it the other day as our students were discussing their SAT scores.
One day as I was quietly sitting in my classroom during lunch, Mike Carderelli (our tech guru and assistant principal) came in and said, "I've got to ask you something. Did you ever teach an ACT or SAT prep course?"
"Yes." I replied, hoping that this answer was not going to result in me teaching an extra class after school.
"Did they record you?" he asked.
"Not that I know of." I answered.
"Well, you've got to hear this new CD ROM we got for students to do SAT prep. The math teacher sounds EXACTLY like you."
Honestly, I thought, I'm sure she probably has a little of a southern accent and tries too hard not to have an accent at all, which is how I would describe my voice. I didn't go out of my way to go and hear the lady until our principal mentioned it, my husband said he thought it was me, and Mr. Carderelli came by 2 more times in the same day to ask when I was coming to hear it.
Around 4:30 pm, I had finished most of my work for the day and ran over to hear my mystery voice double, but I still had my doubts about everyone's opinion, but no one was going to stop asking me about it until I listened to "the voice."
I must admit that I was pretty amazed. It sounded like I was reading a script and trying to teach at the same time. The way the lady said, "Okay..." was just like mine. Yikes. I've NEVER liked listening to myself on tape, and this wasn't even me, but I still was embarassed. What are the chances my voice double would also teach math. She's out there, somewhere...
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ms. Shaver...well..not anymore.. Hey!
This is Sara from your algebra 2 class! You look beautiful in your wedding gown and I'm happy everything is going well for you. You are such a wonderful person for teaching there and I'm proud to have had you as my teacher for a year (and a half but hey who's counting ^^. I'm in college now and lovin' it! I'm praying for you and I'm so happy for you!
Love,
Sara
That's so spooky and cool! I would love to hear it.
Sweetie,
It was you! I remember that Mr. C. called me to come and hear something on his computer... as I was hearing it, I "kind of shouted" that it's Katie Jaanima!
Love you LOTS AND LOTS!
Post a Comment