Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Great Compliment

This week I've had morning duty at school. Basically, I just get to stand around in the back yard of one of the buildings and make sure none of the elementary boys decide to wrestle each other to the ground in the volleyball field that is usually a swamp first thing in the morning after being "watered" the evening before. I've really enjoyed using the time to get to know some of the elementary students better. (I hate to admit it, but sometimes I forget that students that are below the 7th grade can actually carry on some wonderful conversations.)

Anyway, as I was talking to some of the girls about the math test that was waiting for them in 2nd period, one of them randomly said, "You know Ms. Shaver, you really look Afghan. The clothes you wear, your pretty long dark hair, it all fits right in. My mom has even asked me if you are really American or if you were born here."

I thanked them because I really took it as a compliment. I told them that now I have learn Dari because my cover is completely blown as soon as I open my mouth. However, being the wise 8th graders that they are, they told me I should just act as if I was mute, and people on the street might never know that I was American. I find this a little hard to believe because the nationals say that they can tell a foreign woman simply by the way she walks down the street.

I really am enjoying the hodge-podge of cultures we have at the school. The local culture, especially, is very respectful of teachers. Students will NEVER walk in front of me into a building or walk into the classroom if I am coming up the stairs. If they are even half-way up the stairs and I come in, they stop where they are until I take the lead. They tell me that it is a huge sign of respect, and that they would never imagine not letting me go first. When I have lunch duty, I have all sorts of students come up to me and offer me some of their lunch (even though I have my own plate). It is indeed a different world.

For anyone wondering, we are coming along with the Sound of Music for Kabul. I've been told that I can't publish all of our lyrics yet, but here's a teaser from My Favorite Things (We actually have about 9 verses so far.)
Women in burkas with high heels a flashing
Dust that won’t budge after hours of washing
Kites in the sky and cutting their strings
These are a few of my favorite things

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That IS a wonderful compliment! :)

Can't wait to hear the rest of the lyrics.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful Katie! You are so amazing! I love ya!

Brandi

Anonymous said...

i love the song so far....
i couldn't help but hum along...... :)
liz k

juliebelle said...

i'm thinking "when the earth quakes" should be a line .....