Monday, November 26, 2007

Open mouth, insert . . .

So on the night before Thanksgiving, Kh and I were talking about the upcoming holiday activities. Because there are so many of us at school, we try to round up everyone's Christmas DVD's and then make a schedule of when to show them in the basement of the Marble Mansion. On Thanksgiving, we were to begin "the schedule." Kh watched my favorite movies (Rudolf, The Grinch, White Christmas, etc.) with me last year, so he has been exposed, but has he doesn't have the deep-rooted emotional attachments to them that I do. Actually, I didn't really realize how much I had let the world of holiday movies creep into my psyche until this conversation.

Kh: "So are we going to stay to watch movies tomorrow night after we eat the Thanksgiving meal?"
Kt: "I think so. I like the movies that are on the schedule. Do you remember The Santa Clause from last year?"
Kh: "Was that the one about the goat with the lightbulb on his nose?"
Kt: "No..." (with a big sigh of disappointment) "That's Rudolf the Reindeer! Goats don't fly."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this story! I can totally imagine that conversation and especially the last line. You make me laugh.

Pastor Jimmy said...

My family and I think of you every week. We're geared up for the season,having already consumed all the remnants of the turkey. We're looking forward to the music when we gather on Sunday. That is one of my favorite parts of this season.

Anonymous said...

Hilarous! How silly and strange is it anyway to have reindeers with red noses pulling sleighs through the skies. You're a good sport, Kh.

Heike

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh ... that is the funniest thing I've heard in a while! We have some crazy traditions that for some reason make sense to us ... I love when others point out how goofy we really are ...
Ashley L

Elizabeth said...

I love this story. Been thinking of you a lot lately. Just put Braden's Christmas ornament on the tree yesterday. Thanks again for that...his first ornament ever. I love that it came from you.

Miss you.

JennyRain said...

KT Bird I miss you! LOVED this story :) Think of you every time I pick up my keychain. Ya'll are on my heart this week...

Unknown said...

Ah-zais, I finally got a chance to glance through your blog. We third-worlders, what can you say. My wife had promised not to say yes to my proposal, when we were dating, unless I watch the "Sesame Street" I still haven't watched it. :)